THE Guide Hall at Cohuna will see the end of an era with an afternoon tea on Sunday to celebrate almost 60 years of operation.
The hall has been sold and is set to be transformed into a private residence.
The hall has provided a space, not only for hundreds of young girls to broaden their horizons and go on to bigger things in their life, but it has also been the home to many other organisations in the community.
Guiding started in Cohuna in 1932 with Mrs Pollard as captain and they met in a variety of places such as the Church of England vestry and grounds, the lawns of private homes and later the Temperance Hall, which stood where the fire station is today.
After the war, Guides moved in to share the Scout Hall, however as numbers were growing both in Guides and Scouts it became essential they have a home of their own.
Mr C.L. King was subdividing his land around the Cullen and Belmont Streets area and kindly donated the land at the corner.
The Guide Hall was built with much volunteer labour for around 1000 pounds, money raised from fetes and street stalls.
The hall was opened at Easter 1959 during a Back to Cohuna celebration.
Guides and Brownies continued to expand in numbers and at one stage there were three Brownie units, two Guide units and a Ranger Guides unit.
Cohuna has a proud history in Guiding achievements and 55 girls achieved the highest awards as Queen's Guide or Baden-Powell Awards. Their photos have hung in the hall since their presentation and will be returned to them at the afternoon gathering.
The Guide hall has always been open to the public and welcomed patchwork groups, exercise classes and line dancers, to name a few, and all these people are welcome to come for afternoon tea on Sunday, August 27 at 1.30pm. It would help the caters if you could phone Carol Hall, 5456 3100.