CMFNL - Blues' supreme six

KERANG has done what no side has done before them and recorded their sixth consecutive Central Murray Football Netball League premiership after downing Woorinen by 38 points in Saturday's grand final.

The Blues boasted an array of talent that proved just too adept for a gallant and determined Tigers outfit who wilted in the second half as a hectic and hard-fought finals campaign began to take its toll.

Woorinen got away to a brilliant start and were doing most of the attacking, with their speed denying the flag favourites' first use.

Former Melbourne player, Troy Davis was doing his best in the ruck for Kerang though, controlling that battle.

Around the packs, it was Woorinen on top, with Jye Barry in and around everything. 

Victor Siciliano was good early and within 90 seconds the Tigers had opened the scoring with a minor score, but it took until the eight-minute mark before Corey Kelly kicked the first major of the same with a fine shot from 45 metres.

Jesse Clark was showing his wares early for the Blues, getting some run off half-back as veteran Troy Coates worked hard early, clearly sensing a hard battle was in store for the Blues. 

The intensity of the Woorinen back six was making life difficult for the Kerang attack to gain fluency and it took until the 17-minute mark before Scott Lockwood marked and kicked a long goal to open the Blues' account. 

In the meantime, the Tigers were relentless with their attack on the ball through Kane Donnan and Ryan Gale, while Kyle Steicke was doing his usual job, sending many a kick into attack and giving his forwards a host of scoring opportunities.

The most notable of the Woorinen forwards early was Doug Palmer, who notched a fine goal from the arc and the Tigers went to the first break looking the goods with a 16-point lead. 

The Blues started to show some composure as the second stanza progressed, and now with their turn to use a handy breeze, started to attack with some surety as Lockwood kicked a fine and clever goal off the ground.

The Tigers were missing relatively easy shots while Kerang captain, Ryan Gillingham hit a purple patch, kicking two goals in the space of 90 second.

The tide continued to turn as Davis maintained his dominance in the big man department.

Brad Pay then booted a fine goal on the run as he slipped down from half-back to get on the end of a chain of possessions.

As they turned at the main break, the Kerang machine was looking composed after wiping off the first-quarter deficit and opening up a nine-point buffer.

Marty Kelly was feeding off the dominance of the tireless Davis, and while the Tiger defensive unit was doing well at the other end, Woorinen could only manage behinds and having trouble containing the effervescent Troy Coates. 

At the final change of ends, Kerang had sneaked away to enjoy an 18-point advantage. 

The Tigers had fought the good fight and the battle fatigue became very evident as the Blues added to their advantage during the final 30 minutes.

Coates kicked three-final quarter goals to take his tally to five and Kelly topped off a fine performance with a six-pointer of his own as Kerang iced a sixth straight flag.

The triumph added to an already magnificent achievement that will stand as a league record for many years to come.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide