Library fire averted

AN alert cleaner and quick-acting firefighters have averted a potential catastrophe at Kerang's Sir John Gorton Library.

The library was able to open as usual on Wednesday after a fire in an automatic door mechanism late on Tuesday night.

Gannawarra Shire Council's director of infrastructure and development, Geoff Rollinson said that a cleaner who was finishing his duties shortly after 11pm could smell smoke.

"Upon further investigation, he noticed the smoke was coming from the control box above the main automatic doors," he said.

The burnt automatic door mechanism from the Sir John Gorton library in Kerang.

The burnt automatic door mechanism from the Sir John Gorton library in Kerang.

Mr Rollinson said that the cleaner quickly alerted authorities and the fire was extinguished, thanks to the quick response from the Kerang Fire Brigade.

Firefighters doused the fire in the control panel above the library's main entrance and a shire employee switched off the power, enabling a firefighter equipped with breathing apparatus to remove the burnt control box. 

Damage from the fire was contained to the control mechanism for the automatic door, as well as some smoke and water damage.

Firefighters used an extraction fan to remove smoke from inside the library.

Mr Rollinson said that the library opened as per its usual operating hours on Wednesday.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop